Founded: July 14, 1771 – Third of the California Missions
Special Designation: Mission of the Sierras
Named For: Saint Anthony of Padua, a thirteenth century Franciscan, the finder of lost possessions
Mission Site: Located in the Santa Lucia Mountains in an oak studded valley southeast of Monterey, on a what is presently a military reservation. The setting of this mission is much as a traveler would have seen two centuries ago.
Layout: Traditional quadrangle, largely restored by W.R. Hearst and the
Founded: September 8, 1771 – Fourth of the California Missions
Special Designation: Pride of the Missions
Named For: Gabriel, Holy Prince of Archangels
Also Called: Mission San Gabriel
Mission Site: The mission was originally established along the slopes of the Montebello hills at the native site of Shevaanga, overlooking the San Gabriel Valley. In 1775 the mission was relocated to the native site of Iisanchanga “about a league” (3 miles) to the northwest. This mission is 9 miles east of downtown
Founded: June 11, 1797 – The Fourteenth of the California Missions
Named For: Saint Joseph, husband of Mary, the mother of Jesus
Also Called: The Mission of the Most Glorious Patriarch Saint Joseph
Mission Site: In Fremont, 15 miles northeast of the pueblo (and current city) of San Jose.
Layout: The layout was more of a rectangle than the traditional quadrangle
Mission Church: The simple but powerful San José church is a restoration of the 1809 church, which was destroyed in an earthquake in 1868.
Founded: June 24, 1797 – The 15th of the California Missions
Special Designation: Mission of Music
Named For: St. John the Baptist
Also Called: La Misión del Glorioso Precursor de Jesu Cristo, Nuestro Señor San Juan Bautista (The Mission of the Glorious Precursor of Jesus Christ, Our Lord San Juan Bautista)
Mission Site: Located on the main plaza in the town that developed around the mission, some 90 miles southeast of San Francisco.
Mission Church: The present church was dedicated on June 23, 1812,
Founded: November 1, 1776 – The Seventh of the California Missions
Special Designation: Pride of the Missions
Named For: St. John of Capistrano, a 14th century theologian
Mission Site: Located within sight of the ocean in the town of San Juan Capistrano, which developed around the mission.
Layout: Traditional quadrangle
Mission Church: In 1778, two years after the mission was moved to the present site, a small adobe chapel was built, and soon replaced by the Serra Chapel in 1782. This is the only
Founded: September 1, 1772 – 5th of the California Missions
Named For: St. Louis, Bishop of Toulouse, France, a 14th century Franciscan
Also Called: Mission San Luis Obispo
Mission Site: Located in a spacious valley along the central coast which the Spanish named “La Cañada de los Osos” (Valley of the Bears) when they discovered many grizzlies there. Unlike many of the missions which we re-situated over time, San Luis Ob?spo stands on its original site.
Founded: June 13, 1798 – The 18th of the California Missions
Special Designation: King of the Missions
Named For: King Luis IX of France, who led crusades to the Holy Land in the 13th century.
Also Called: Mission San Luis Rey
Mission Site: Located on a hill overlooking a peaceful valley at the native village of Tacayme in the region know as Quechia, about five miles east of present day Oceanside.
Layout: San Luis Rey extended over six acres. By 1826 the quadrangle measured 500 feet on each side. There
Mission Soledad deteriorated rapidly after secularization. It served for several years as the Felilano Soberanes ranch house, a grocery store and a restaurant and was then abandoned for almost 100 years. The Daughters of the Golden West restored the chapel in 1953, and the convento wing (present day museum) in 1963
Founded: October 9, 1791 – Thirteenth of the California Missions
Named For: Our Lady of Solitude (Also Called Soledad Mission)
Mission Site: Thirty
Founded: March 31, 1782 – Ninth Mission
Special Designation: Mission by the Sea
Named For: Saint Bonaventure, a 13th century Franciscan cardinal and renowned philosopher.
Mission Site: The mission was located near the sizeable Indian village of Mitsquanaqa’n with about 500 inhabitants. San Beuenaventura is 70 miles north of Los Angeles in the city of Ventura, which developed around the mission.
Layout: Traditional quadrange, which was still standing as late as 1875.
Mission Church: The first
Founded: June 3, 1770 – Second of the California Missions
Special Designation: Father of the Alta California Missions
Named For: Saint Charles of Borremeo, a 16th century Italian cardinal.
Mission Site: Originally established at the presidio in Monterey but relocated in 1771 to the Carmel Valley on a hillside that was “two gunshots” from the ocean.
Layout: An irregular shaped quadrangle. Only the ruins of the church remained standing when restoration began in 1921, so extensive excavation of the
Founded: July 16, 1769 – First of the California Missions
Special Designation: Mother of the Alta California Missions.
Named For: St. Didacus of Alcalá, a fifteenth century Spanish Franciscan. The Bay of San Diego was discovered in 1542 by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo but named San Diego in 1602 by the explorer Sebatián Vizcaíno, who mapped the coast.
Also Called: Mission San Diego
Mission Site: The mission was originally located on Presidio Hill overlooking the bay, at a location called Cosoy by the natives.
Founded: September 8, 1797 – The Seventeenth of the California Missions
Special Designation: Mission of the Valley
Named For: St. Ferdinand, King of Spain in 13th century.
Also Called: San Fernado Mission
Mission Site: Established at the native site of ‘Achooykomenga/Paskeeknga, In a spacious valley on the Spanish grazing concession of Rancho Los Encinos held by Don Francisco Reyes. Whereas the Spanish referred to the region as El Valle de Santa Catalina de Bononia de los Encinos, the Tataviam called
Founded: July 4, 1823 – The Twenty-first and last of the California Missions
Named For: Saint Francis Solano, a Spanish Franciscan who served for 20 years as a missionary in Peru and Paraguay.
Also Called: Sonoma Mission
Mission Site: In the center of Sonoma, 40 miles north of San Francisco.
Layout: Traditional quadrangle, near which the town of Sonoma developed.
Mission Church: The current church is an authentic restoration of the 1840 church, rebuilt in 1911-13 with the support of the Historic
Founded: October 9, 1776 – The Sixth of the California Missions
Named For: Saint Francis of Assisi, founder of the Franciscan Order
Also Called: Mission Dolores
Mission Site: Near San Francisco Bay which the Spanish had just begun to explore. (Juan Manuel de Ayala sailed into the Bay in the San Carlos on August 5, 1775). The mission is now located about a half mile from the original site, at present day 16th and Dolores Streets.
Layout: Traditional quadrangle, completed in 1798.
Mission Church: The
Founded: July 25, 1797 – 16th of the California Missions
Special Designation: Mission on the Highway
Named For: Saint Michael the Archangel
Also Called: Mission San Miguel
Mission Site: About halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles in the town that developed around the mission. The site was called Valica by the Saliman and Paraje de los Pozos by the Spanish. It was surrounded by level land that was suitable for growing wheat.
Mission Church: The present church, begun in 1816 under the direction
Founded: December 4, 1786 – The Tenth of the California Missions
Special Designation: Queen of the Missions
Named For: Saint Barbara, a legendary martyred church figure of the 3rd century.
Mission Site: In the city of Santa Barbara on a hill commanding a striking view of the sea.
Layout: Santa Barbara was laid out in the traditional quadrangle, with separate granaries, a weavery with patio, tannery, and neophyte housing forming additional courtyard-oriented squares. Many of the exisiting buildings at the
Founded: December 14, 1817 – Twentieth of the California Missions
Special Designation: Mission of Bodily Healing.
Named For: Saint Rafael, patron of good health and travelers.
Mission Site: 15 miles north of San Francisco at the native site of ‘Anaguani. Since San Rafael was intended to be a “hospital” asistencia, a key consideration was that the location be in a sunnier and more protected environment than San Francisco, which was foggy, damp and windy. The original mission buildings were razed in
Founded: January 12, 1777 – Eighth of the California Missions
Named For: Saint Claire of Assisi, a 13th century Italian nun, cofoundress with San Francis of the Order of Poor Clares or Clares.
Also Called: Mission Santa Clara
Mission Site: Located on the southern end of San Francisco Bay in Santa Clara, on a site originally chosen by Jan Bautista de Anza, the Spanish Pathfinder. The site was originally founded as La Mision de Santa Clara de Thamien at the Costanoan village of Socoisuka on the Guadalupe River. The
Founded: August 28, 1791 – Twelfth of the California Missions
Named For: The Exaltation of the Holy Cross of Christianity
Mission Site: On a bluff in the city of Santa Cruz, near the mouth of the San Lorenzo River and the native site of Uypi on the Monterey Bay. Moved to this location in 1793.
Layout: Traditional quadrangle with a large garden and orchard near the mission.
Mission Church: The current mission chapel is a well-executed smaller one-third scale replica of the 1795 mission church. It was erected
Founded: September 17, 1804 – The Nineteeth of the California Missions
Special Designation: Mission of the Passes
Named For: Saint Agnes of Rome, a thirteen year-old Roman girl martyred in A.D. 304
Also Called: Santa Inés
Mission Site: An inland mission, Santa Inés was established near a rancheria, Alajulspu, in the Santa Inéz Valley and sits on its original site. It is on the eastern edge of the town of Solvang, founded in 1911 by a group of Danish educators. Note that the name of the valley and the town
La Purisima is the most fully restored mission, with over 20 buildings. Restoration was done between 1934-42 by the National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps. The mission is a frequent site of reenactments and encampments.
Founded: December 8, 1787 – The Eleventh of the California Missions
Special Designation: Sometimes referred to as the “Linear Mission.”
Named For: Mary, the Mother of Jesus. (Also Called La