Founded: August 28, 1791 – Twelfth of the California Missions
Named For: The Exaltation of the Holy Cross of Christianity
Mission Site: On a bluff in the city of Santa Cruz, near the mouth of the San Lorenzo River and the native site of Uypi on the Monterey Bay. Moved to this location in 1793.
Layout: Traditional quadrangle with a large garden and orchard near the mission.
Mission Church: The current mission chapel is a well-executed smaller one-third scale replica of the 1795 mission church. It was erected in 1931.
Special Attraction: A portion of the original nephyte housing area of 1822 has been restored and may be seen in the adjacent Santa Cruz Mission State Historic Park.
Current Status: Parish Chapel of the parish of the Holy Cross of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Monterey. The mission chapel is a popular site for weddings.